Re: [ga] Consensus on consensus?

Jefsey Morfin wrote:

> Please Danny, don't confuse what a consensus is (a total agreement
> should certain conditions be met) with what the ICANN pretends it to
> be (a 2/3 majority vote by the smallest group where that majority can
> be met). Like it or not, the world is no more in democracy, it is in
> consensus. Watch around you: consensus is carried by the "community
> correct". Observe also that in quite all the democracies elections
> tend to be by 50/50 and low voter figures. This shows that people are
> equaly unatease with the current system they equally find inadequate.

Exactly, the voting public is sick of the farce that "elections" have
become.  The voting public is sick of the "consensus" policies of the
masters, and their refusal to turn out for so-called "elections" is only
the first major sign of dissent to current "community correctness".

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos
          Toronto, Canada

--
Decision-making on major issues is now vested in international institutions which are so remote from public influence, that the public has no idea what's going on. I mean, in the case of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement), incidentally the Labor Advisory Committee report was never reported in the press, right, I'd be surprised if any of you know about it, here's a case where the government radically violated the law, demonstrated utter contempt for the democratic process, rammed through a secret executive agreement of enormous influence, wouldn't even let the one popular group that is supposed to see it by law, the labor- based group, even look at it, they write the report, and then the press censors it. All right, here we have the ultimate in the destruction of democracy, the ideal that everybody's been dreaming of. Not only is the rabble excluded, they don't influence policy, but they don't know what's in policy, and finally they don't know that they don't know. Virtually nobody knows that they don't know what is going on. Well, you know, now we've reached the ultimate. That's the ultimate possibility in the destruction of democracy.

-Noam Chomsky, "Old Wine, New Bottles: Free Trade, Global Markets and Military Adventures"
the above article in its thoroughly engrossing entirety can be found at: http://www.zmag.org/chomsky/talks/9302-uva.html