From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org]On Behalf Of Bret
Fausett
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 2:28 PM
To: ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] Request for a Working Group

I agree with Michael. In addition to the local and national authorities that
provide consumer protection, virtually every state in the U.S. provides
aggrieved parties a private right of action for unfair and deceptive trade
practices. If the Verisign registrar campaign is deceptive (and I don't make
any claim about that), then every affected registrar and registrant, both
individually or as a class, likely has a private remedy available to stop
the practice.

        -- Bret

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
> [cc's chopped ruthlessly]
>
> Personally, I believe that deceptive trade practices should be regulated
> by the national authorities where a business is located and where it
> trades, not by ICANN.
>
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>
>> Having reviewed the many ICANN Public Forums, the registrars list, and
the GA
>> list, one fact is eminently clear:  the public has been loudly
complaining
>> about abusive and deceptive registrar and re-seller business practices.
It