[ga] Cerf-Farber Dialogue

At a session at the University of Pennsylvania today, Vint Cerf and Prof.
Farber exchanged thoughts on the origins of the Internet and speculated as to
its future.  The first question from the audience referenced the recent
position paper put forth by PFIR http://www.pfir.org/statements/icann  which
deemed ICANN to be "a failed experiment in Internet policy development,
implementation, and management."

would be to "put it into receivership", to which Mr. Cerf replied "I think
that would be a mistake."   That was the full extent of the discussion on
this issue.  It appears that both speakers had agreed not to dwell on this
topic.

In private conversations following the session, I found both Vint and Dave
Farber to be genuinely open to ongoing discussions.  Neither appeared to have
adopted an implacable stance.

In my humble opinion, there still remain opportunities for us to present
options to the Board which will allow for both enhanced participation and
representation.  I came away from this session with the belief that the Board
is not yet "wedded" to the Lynn plan, and is truly amenable to considering
other formulations (as long as they comprehensively address all the problems
enumerated by Mr. Lynn).