Re: Numbers - was [ga] icannatlarge has now signed up 544 members

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 03:02:28 -0500, Joanna Lane <jo-uk@rcn.com> wrote:
>From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org]On Behalf Of Joop
>Teernstra

>>First elections will be announced as soon as the supervisory Panel agrees
>>on the details. Nominations can already start now. See
>>www.icannatlarge.com/forum/
>
>Look Joop,
>I object to these elections. Please pass this on to the "supervisory panel",
>whatever that is and wherever that is. The priority for this At Large cannot
>possibly be selecting a "Supervisory panel" or "editorial committee" for the
>website or whatever the label is, when it is blindingly obvious what is
>driving the site in the current climate, and it has nothing do with any
>function that can be performed by a committee. It's all about *Numbers*.

I agree with Joanna very strongly.  This is cart before horse in a
very bad way.  There is nothing near consensus on the structure of the
at large and trying to turn it into IDNO v2 is going to fail.

My suggestion on the ALSC mailing list was that if there had to be
interim elections it should be for just one body of say 10 people as a
steering cmte/exec and that those people elected to it be ineligible
to stand for any other at large office for 12 months (hence should
remove concerns about empire building).

As Joanna says the main thing now is to keep signing people up rather
than imposing a structure from the top down.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527