Re: FTC - Re: New.net - Re: [ga] Sen. Burns to the Chair of the Commerce Committee

What a load of garbage!

First of all, the FTC action was based on the fact that they didn't feel
that
TLDNetworks gave proper disclaimers as to visibility of their domains. It
has nothing to do with domain name similar to any other domains.

As long as New.Net gives legally sufficient information about the visibility
of their domains, they are protected. Its all about properly informing
consumers
about the situation so that they can make a valid choice as to wether or not
to spend their money.

FTC could not shut down an inclusive namespace provider as long as they
gave adequate disclaimers. A domain registry is nothing more than a
publisher of a directory of names that they (the registry) wishes to
publish.

Publishers are  protected by The First Amendment of the United States
Constitution
The government is prohibited from violating the 1st Amendment.

I am in support of proper disclosure to consumers and support FTC
action against those that do not follow the rules. It has yet to be
determined if TLD networks did indeed break the rules or did not.

What I am suspicious of is whether or not there is some alterior motive
behind this.  The motive would be an attempt by ICANN and its minions
to close down any and all competition. I would be very interested in
knowing (but will probably never know) what machinations went on
behind the scenes. ICANN is a corrupt monopoly that can't stand
competition and will (based on past behavior) go to extreme lengths
to squash out the competition.

In our press release yesterday, I indicated that I was "pleased" with
the FTC action. After all, TLD Networks "swiped" the TLD that
we have been operating since 1995. Now, I can honestly say
that I am having second thoughts about being "pleased". It all
hinges on whether or not the FTC is fairly applying the law in this
case. They may be. Only the court proceedings will tell.

I am heartened by the fact that an FTC spokesperson was quoted
in one of the online news pieces yesterday as saying that they dont
intend on going after inclusive namespace providers that give proper
disclaimers about the limited visibility of their domains. I hope that
was a sincere statement and not a cover.

Your obvious bias and inflammatory statements about "New.Net going
to jail" are inappropriate in my opinion.

ADNS is not going anywhere and I hope that New.Net will stay the
course as well.

John Palmer