Re: [ga] FYI: Staff Draft towards Mission Statement

Kent and all assembly members,

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 05:40:25PM +0100, Per Koelle wrote:

> > > 1) In 95/96 there was a paid IANA staff, though it is true that a lot
> > > of work was done by people who were paid under rather non-specific
> > > contracts.
> > [SNIP]

> > > No, it is not amazing at all.  If anything, given the demands made on
> > > ICANN, it is amazingly *cheap*.  As an end user, this is working out to
> > > around $.20/domain name per year (3% of the dominant wholesale cost) to
> > > pay for the global coordination functions that ICANN provides.
> >
> > Dear Kent,
> >
> > This is rubbish (and you af all should know),
>
> No, it is not rubbish.
>
> > As far as TLD's is concerned, ICANN/IANA is (only) managing a database with
> > +250 entries !!!!
>
> That is an egregious oversimplification.  The root zone is not just any
> old database, ICANN/IANA is providing management for a database that the
> entire world is using, and that the whole world cares a lot about.  That
> is a *vastly* more complicated thing than "only managing a database".

  From a technical standpoint is is not different Kent.  You know that,
and as much as admitted it in your comment above.  Per is right,
you know he is.  It is true what you say above that perhaps
root zone database is possible more important than mos others,
with possible the exception of Edgar.  But that does not detract
nor should it effect the COST and technical aspects of managing
it...  You also know this very well...

> > I (for one) run a similar thing with +370.000 entries for around USD 3 mil.!
>
> If all *you* were doing was managing a database with 370,000 entries,
> then $ 3Mil is *way* too much.  A database with 370000 entries is really
> fairly small as databases go -- I personally could manage a database
> like that for a very *very* tiny fraction of $3mil.
>
> The reason it costs you $3mil to run your database has almost nothing to
> do with the size of your database -- the cost is caused almost entirely
> by other factors.  Similarly, the costs to ICANN/IANA for running the
> root zone have essentially nothing to do with the size of root zone.

  Size plays a part in the costs of running any database.  But only
a very tiny part..  Loss of the use or access of the data by so
many as with the Root zone, or edgar for instance is where
the costs come into play.  The bigger the database, the more
important and careful one must be in it's maintenance as
well a backup and recovery.

> Regards
>
> Kent
>
> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
> kent@songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827