Re: [ga] If ICANN were to collapse...

Joop and all assembly members,

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 12:13 6/03/02 -0800, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
> >Who would benefit the most?
>
> The question "cui bono?" is always a good one to ask.

  Indeed it is.  And whom you ask it is also an important factor
as well.

> >My opinion: Verisign.
>
> That could perhaps be 'veri'fied by closely watching the share price, now
> still in the cellar.
> An ICANN collapse and a simultaneous VRSN takeoff would make an interesting
> spectacle.

  It sure would.  Now that the US economy is on the road to recovery,
you may get that opportunity!  >;)

> But how about new.net as a direct beneficiary?

  New.net would certainly gain some benefit.  But unless or until
New.Net changes it's marketing approach and method, that
benefit would be limited.

> How about Microsoft? The other GIP members?
> How about the USG? Ambitious US politicians telling the world what they can
> do with their Domains :(

  Many NZ and Australian politicians also following the same political
jandra..

> But somehow, I don't think ICANN  will collapse. Version 1.3 will be
> downgraded to V. 2.1 (Lynn's 2.0 is just a kite, IMHO)

  Downgrade?

> It is the DNSO constituency structure that will crack up and go.
>
> (all just 2cts idle speculation)
>
> --Joop

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827