[ga] Few preliminary comments on Lynn proposal

Dear all,

my comments on the Lynn proposal are very preliminary,
since I still have lots of questions about it and
may not understand all parts of it fully.

At http://www.icannchannel.de/lynn-proposal.pdf (43 kB)
I have a chart showing the new ICANN Board structure
(again: I'm not sure if everything is correct and
would appreciate feedback!).

Frankly, the Board seems to elect itself according
to this proposal:
-- The CEO on the Board is elected by the Board.
-- The 10 "At Large" Trustees are confirmed by the
   Board. (However, since 5 are governmental
   delegates, the de facto veto power may be
   diminished.)
-- 5 of the 10 "At Large" Trustees are nominated
   by the Nominating Committee which consists of
   a Chair (appointed by the CEO -- see above),
   5 members of the Board and 3 members appointed
   by the Board.
-- The Nominating Committee (see above) appoints
   3 members of the Address+Numbering PC Steering
   Group, 5 members of the Generic TLD Names PC
   Steering Group, 4 members of the Geographic
   TLD Names PC Steering Group and 3 members of
   the Technical Advisory Committee.
   The Chairs of these policy councils and the
   Technical Advisory Committee are ex officio
   members of the Board.

The "Steering Groups" are the equivalent to the current
"Councils", but they have their own staff and access to
ICANN resources. The interest groups formerly called
"Constituencies" are now "Forums".

How do non-commercial and individual users make sure their voice
is heard? Let's assume there is a Non-Commercial Forum (or
even more than one) and an Individual Domain Holder or User Forum.
(We don't know what the "well-defined minimal criteria for
recognition of new self-organized Forums" would be.) These
Forums could succeed in getting a topic they deem important on the
agenda of e.g. the Generic TLD Names Policy Council Steering
Group. They could succeed in agreeing with the other members
of the Steering Group to write a policy recommendation for the
Board of Trustees. However, the Board of Trustees (just like
the current Board of Directors) would be free to ignore any and
all advice ("strong weight based on its persuasive merits, but
not presumptive validity"). To have an influence on the ICANN
process, having a seat on the Board and/or the new Nominating
Committee seem to be good places.

Any comments?

Best regards,
/// Alexander