[ga] Domain name redemption: Supplemental paper / post-deletion transfers

ICANN has published a supplemental paper on the Redemption Grace
Period Proposal,
<http://www.icann.org/registrars/redemption-supplement-20feb02.htm>.

In short, registrar processes remain mostly unchanged, registries
should be allowed to take a "cost-recovery service charge".  (But
you read this on icann.blog already. ;-)

What's more interesting is the section on "Enabling Registrants to
Choose the Renewing Registrar".  Yes, folks, you read this
correctly: What this paper seems to be proposing is nothing less
than post-deletion (!!) domain transfers without any involvement of
the loosing registrar.  I sense a new work item for the transfers
task force when it comes to the implementation of this.

Note, however, that this only makes sense when a hoarding policy is
introduced first: Using redemption for registrar transfers can only
work if registrant knows rather precisely at which point of time the
delete command will be issued.

Comments?  Should we possibly propose such a policy?  If so, I
suppose we should have something ready before Ghana.
--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/