Re: [ga] Twenty Questions for Verisign about the WLS

I think George has done an excellent job. I think that his questions
should be submitted by the GA to VGRS for a response. Personally, I
would like to see VGRS's answer to each one of them.

AFIC, George, thanks for spending the time and having the patience to
wade through a lot of the issues pertaining to WLS and formulating a
lot of excellent and pointed questions.  Good job!!

Thanks,

p.s.  Although, I did notice that you forgot your profit motive, i.e.
about making George Kirikos a millionaire. :-)  That's not a problem
with me, though. :-)

Wednesday, February 06, 2002, 4:47:19 PM, George Kirikos <gkirikos@yahoo.com> wrote:
GK> Hello,

GK> I've gone through the discussions of the past month carefully and tried
GK> to come up with a set of questions for Verisign. Feel free to consider
GK> adding them to the DNSO GA, Registrars, or other constituency questions
GK> (I think the more a question is repeated, the greater difficult
GK> Verisign will face in refusing to provide answers). Many will recognize
GK> these questions from before, although there are a few new ones that
GK> I've not seen posted elsewhere. Apologies if you receive this email
GK> more than once.

GK> Let's play 20 questions:

GK> 1. CIRA, the registry for dot-ca, was able to manage 100-times
GK> scalability when it released expired names recently for re-registration
GK> (see http://www.cira.ca/news-releases/63.html ). Given that this
GK> non-profit registry did not require a wait-list system, nor a
GK> surcharge, what are the technical flaws in Verisign systems that
GK> prevent a similar system as CIRA?

GK> 2. a) What are the success criteria that Verisign/ICANN intend to use
GK> at the end of the 1-year WLS testing period (these should be specified
GK> ex-ante, not ex-post)?
GK>    b) Do those criteria take into account the existing competitive
GK> landscape that exists in the market?
GK>    c) If so, what market measurements has Verisign/ICANN made of the
GK> current competitive landscape (NameWinner, eNom, AWRegistry,
GK> ExpireFish, SnapNames, NicGenie, IARegistry, Signature Domains, and
GK> other competitors), to serve as the basis for a comparison?
GK>    d) Under what metrics will the WLS test be considered a failure?

GK> 3. At: http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc09/msg00081.html Chuck
GK> Gomes wrote "The value to the Internet community therefore seems rather
GK> obvious to me. But, if there is none as you suggest, then the service
GK> will be a failure.  On the other hand, if there is demand and hence
GK> value, it will succeed.  The level of success will depend on how much
GK> demand and value there is.  The best way to test it is to let the
GK> market prove it one way or other."

GK> There currently exists a competitive market in the automotive industry
GK> (as there is for the expired domain names industry). If it was replaced
GK> by a single monopolistic seller for a 1-year test period, cars would
GK> undoubtedly still be bought, as there is a intrinsic demand for cars
GK> themselves. How does Verisign/ICANN intend to differentiate the demand
GK> for WLS from the demand for the expired names themselves, when there
GK> would be no alternative mechanism for securing those expired names for
GK> which there is a basic demand already that is being satisfied in the
GK> market?

GK> 4. If the WLS is deemed to be illegal (due to anti-trust law, and/or
GK> relevant Commodity Futures law), will Verisign/ICANN indemnify affected
GK> resellers, registrants and other market participants from all
GK> liability, legal costs, and implementation costs associated with the
GK> 1-year test?

> [...]

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----