[ga] VeriSign bulk whois privacy inquiry

Dear WHOIS committee and Dan Halloran:

This notification to both the WHOIS committee and ICANN's compliance
director concerning the distribution of bulk whois data.

Please review the privacy policy request made to VeriSign (formerly
Network Solutions) made pursuant to the VeriSign (formerly Network
Solutions) privacy policy.

The WHOIS committee has been asked to review the issues in the VeriSign
(formerly Network Solutions) reconsideration request found at:
http://www.icann.org/committees/reconsideration/verio-request-15jun01.ht

This request touts the use of "opt-out" as a reason for reducing the
restriction on access to bulk whois data.

I made an "opt-out" request to prevent my personal information in
VeriSign (formerly Network Solutions) whois database from being
distributed to third parties.  However, since this request I have
received large number of solicitations from third parties using data
collected from the whois database.  Some of this was clearly "stolen" by
marketers who did not authorization to the data.  However, some of the
solicitations came from companies who touted they were affiliates of
VeriSign (formerly Network Solutions) or were well-known to be
affiliates of VeriSign (formerly Network Solutions).  Others were
competing registrars who apparently bought whois databases.

It is my belief that VeriSign (formerly Network Solutions) does not
properly process such "opt-out" requests they tout in their
reconsideration request.  VeriSign (formerly Network Solutions) is
required to provide me a response to the request below within 7 days of
Wednesday, January 30, 2002.  I believe many other domain holders should
be able to verify this experience.

Russ Smith