[ga] Re: [GTLD Registries List] gTLD Comments on .org (PLEASE POST ON NC LIST)

Dear Jeff,
We would certainly prefer that the text spells out that VRSN and ICANN
should not take advantage from the .org divestiture. When you divest it is
not to take back. When you foster competition it is not to compete with
yourself to your own benefit.

The divestiture should come with M$ 5 from Verisign to the new operator and
with the transfer of the renewals fees for the 10 years to come that
Verisign has collected as part of it s normal business. We certainly
understand it would help the ICANN to keep a part of that amount
and  Verisign not to pay the other part. Would that be fair to the other
gTLDs? we may doubt it. Would that be innovative for .org? we may doubt it.
Would that be good business administration? we may doubt it.

We may regret that the final text uses "provider" instead of "actor" as
adopted at the NonCom. We may also regret that you miscontrue this as a
position against IBM, BT, ATT who are parts of the BC. Actually for that
very reason we may be surprised you could (Marilyn fighting the interests
of AT&T???). Actually this list of yours makes plain that you did not quote
the actual names you were concerned about.

The concern we may all share is that .org would look divested as part of
the Plan B negotiation. There would be calls for an anti-trust
investigation/action. This would be detrimental to the .org registrants and
to the Global Internet Community, and to Verisign and to the ICANN
themselves. Every other proposition is certainly worth to consider.
Including the registration by the IANA of a few hundreds other TLDs in
compliance with the RFC 920 which documented .org, lowering the importance
of that divestiture.

Jefsey

PS. Jeff, may I ask you a stupid question? How does that come you belong to
the gTLD constituency? Is not your ".biz" a chartered/specialized TLD for
business? Or did you buy Lea's true ".biz" which has not such a limitation?
Or would that mean that Joe Sims/Louis Touton are iinterested in the
concept of sponsored TLDs only for ".org"?  And why one TLD is at the BC?