Re[3]: [ga] WLS - Better Margins for Registrars

Thursday, Thursday, January 17, 2002, 9:20:48 PM, Patrick Greenwell wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, William X Walsh wrote:

>> > Eric, one question: if you are a consumer then why is the domain name
>> > associated with your email address that of a registrar?
>>
>> More accurately, a reseller of a registrar  :)
>>
>> I'm sure you will understand why I make a point of noting the
>> distinction.  Unlike Registrars, resellers of registrar services have
>> no voice inside ICANN.

>>  The registrars constituency won't have us,

> Shouldn't you be taking this up with the registrars then, since you are
> making them money?

Quite frankly, we are not registrars.  And with so much of what is
going in the domain policy arena effecting us as directly as it is, I
think it is time the non-registrar registration service providers have
some say and input in the process.  Particularly because many of the
things that may be acceptable to the registrars, may have a deep
impact on our businesses and on the service provided to our customers.

You surely see where I am going with this.  I think a new constituency
is required where non-ICANN Accredited domain registrars and
registration providers are represented.  I've been thinking about this
for some time now, especially during the whole "domain transfer"
controversy that Verisign started.

I've decided that its time to do more than think about it and have
started exploring the subject more.  Anyone interested in this, and
who is a qualified registration provider, should contact me off list.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>

"There is no better way to exercise the imagination than the study of
the law. No artist ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer
interprets the truth."
-- Jean Giradoux