RE: [ga] WLS Input - Greatest Good vs. Benefits of the Few

comments below...

I'm not sure I get your statement...why would someone hit the registry if
the only names that would be available would be names that have no
(perceived) value?  Of course, in the interest of simplification, I left out
one other variable that would play in to all this (and perhaps this is what
you mean), cost.  The higher the cost of WLS, the less the delete/load
problem goes away.  IOW, if it costs $1,000 (I'm using an extreme figure
here for illustration purposes) to subscribe a name through WLS, then sure,
a lot of people would wait for the name to show up in the mass deletes.
OTOH, if a WLS subscription costs $1, then even names with low (perceived)
value will be subscribed and will therefore not be included in the mass
deletes.  So yes, cost does play a factor in whether or not a name will be
subscribed through WLS and ultimately whether the name will be available or
not in the mass deletes.  Again, the higher the cost of WLS, the less the
delete/load problem goes away.  Of course, the flip of that is, the lower
the cost of WLS, the more the delete/load problem goes away.

> Also, Verisign and SnapNames have both stated
> that WLS is not intended to solve this problem.

Yes, noted...but, I still believe the delete/load problem would vanish
whether that result was intended or not.  BTW, I mentioned in my original
email my comment was merely that, a comment, not an endorsement either for
or against WLS.  I support the decoupling of the delete/load problem and WLS
issues; they should, IMO, be treated as two completely separate issues.

Best,

Jeff (Field)