Re: [ga] WLS Input - Greatest Good vs. Benefits of the Few

>From page 5 of Ron Wiener's attached pdf document:

     2. “WLS will not solve the system load problems.” This point is
     another red herring meant to divert attention toward VeriSign and
     away from the real issue – equality of customer access. It’s also
     a textbook example of inventing a theoretically perfect/complete
     solution to set up as the enemy of an actual good one. As Chuck
     Gomes has repeatedly made clear, yet others continue to pretend
     he never said it, the WLS was not intended to solve the load
     problem.

>From Paragraph 1 of the WLS proposal dated 12/31/01:

     1. Introduction

     Registrar Constituency, VeriSign, Inc. is providing this paper to
     describe its proposed Domain Name Wait Listing Service (WLS).
     Specifically, the proposed WLS is intended to provide both (1) a
     new, streamlined business opportunity for the entire registrar
     community, and (2) some measure of relief in dealing with the
     “deleted domains” issue.

Addressing the load problem was, indeed, one of the fundamental
predicates of the proposal. Although, "some measure of relief" is
vague, at best.

I do agree with the Ron Wiener, however, in that the intention of the
proposal is clearly not to "solve" the load problem or the other
troubling aspects concerning the handling of deleted names.
Conversely, this proposal is nothing more than two companies trying to
sell their product to a group.

It is not unusual for a sales person to paint their product or
proposal in the most favorable light. Hence, there have been many
theories advanced about the potential benefits of the WLS. Many are
nothing more than speculation, conjecture and marketing "eye wash."

Ron is right, however. Neither Snap or VeriSign have a proposal on the
table which will solve the problems related to deleted names.

It is, IMHO, incumbent upon the stakeholders to focus on a resolution
to the problems associated with deleted names. The WLS proposal, by
Ron's own assertion, was not intended to, and does not, solve those
problems.  Therefore, I suggest we move on to some meaningful work.

Tuesday, January 15, 2002, 10:23:42 AM, Ron Wiener <Ron@Snapnames.com> wrote:
RW> Rather than respond to individual response documents and e-mail posts,
RW> please find attached a concise document, in PDF format.

RW> Cheers,
RW> Ron

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----