Re: [ga] Working Groups

Assembly,

On this theme a lot of post has passed us by, a vote is going on and yet we
are discussing the rules under which we are allowed to for, such a
"workgroup".

We are discussing the past ( in which it all went wrong) the future (where we
repeat the past) and the present (where we wait for permission to do anything
wrong)

Lst time i heard we were all consenting adults, members of a larger group (GA
Maillist) who like to have our opinion heard in the hope that the forces in
power will recon with those opinions while making decisions  or shady deals,
whatever comes first and one not excluding the other.

With all respect to all given input on the WLS and on the WG, i (not being a
chair but a human being running a business) can sense a great deal of
consensus on at least two things here:

1. it is the distinct opinion of this assembly (all but one or two) that WLS
is a bad idea (tm)

2. A workgroup would be a very handy place to further discuss the matters of
"delete" (general term)

What stops us from reaching a real consensus ? hmmmm  rules imposed by those
who say we can not reach that consensus.

Are we a kindergartenclass that needs to be told when to go to the bathroom ?
(ok perhaps at times it looks like that but still....)

The mentioning by PDF that self erected WG's are grounds for counter WG's can
in the exceptional case be true, but by stating such he delivers a power to a
WG that no one on this list seeks or wants.

In a constituency the size of the GA with the input from so many different
angles it is almost impossible for every one to be interested and or
particiapting in all subjects, yet some are close to home or touch the
interest.

Why would any formed WG, be it formal or informal, not be simply @approved@
by the GA (there is such a vote underway i believe) and present a "draft" to
the GA say in a maximum of 3 instances, then the GA votes aye or nay and we
move on.

To impose rules upon the intricate workings of the assembly from "above" is a
restriction of our basic human rights to congregate and speak up.

We as the GA want to be heard? then we need to form opinions!
If the GA grows (which we all hope it will do i assume) then it will be
harder and harder to "select" on the topics on which we can and want to form
an opinion and be heard. If it comes close to the heart enough we can
participate in a workgroup in that case.

The workgroup reachs a form of consensus (serious majority decision) and
makes her proposal to the GA, i can see nothing wrong with that and do not
understand (i don't want to) why that shoudl be "permitted"

In the end the "opinion" or "final draft advise" comes from the GA to
<wherever it has to go> as a consensus opinion of the GA.
How the GA got there is of little importance to the higher level of decision
makers, no matter what they say.

We do not need the NC or anyone to supply us with maillists, we can set our
own up at any given moment in time, I am sure there are enough ISP's here to
provide whatever we need, I for one would have no problem in giving the GA or
any workgroup ample space on one of our servers, to do exactly what the GA
wants to do.

Let's get real and drop all that "look important" stuff, IF the GA ever has a
chance of being heard it needs consensus, how it reaches that consensus is
therefore up to the GA and not to anybody else.

You have for you a chance to "change the rules and playingfield" act now,
before this is only another "bitch"-list.

regards

abel

--
Abel Wisman