RE: [ga] Alt.root'ers resorting to spam?

I distinctly remember (and now I will have to dig up the exact references.
but, not tonight) That, in Oct99, the US PTO specifically issued a ruling
prohibiting registration of domain names and TLDs for purposes of
trademarks. I was writing up my WG-C submission at the time and remember
being disctinctly preturbed by the announcement. It caused me to change the
tone quite a bit. If this has changed yet again, I'd truely be interested.

If one could trademark a domain name then there is a legal defense
available, which I published on the NSI Domain-Policy list, years ago, that
would make the UDRP moot. It would also prevent registries from duplicating
existing TLDs, like ICANN did to BIZ.

The lawyers on this list can pop in any time now ...