[ga] What were motives of Bible-quoting Corinthians.com owner?

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [ga] What were motives of Bible-quoting Corinthians.com owner?
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 18:10:29 -0800
  • Sender: owner-ga@dnso.org

All assembly members,

From Politech:

Date:
        Sat, 08 Dec 2001 11:36:20 -0500
   From:   Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
     To: politech@politechbot.com
    CC: jdsallen@ix.netcom.com

This is a long-standing debate and I suspect people's minds are largely
made up. But first-come-first-served always seemed to be a good rule of
thumb to me, unless you're intentionally creating a site that's
confusingly
similar to that of a trademark owner. For instance, I registered
shorten.com in 1997 or so (I was thinking of launching an info-locating
site). Sometime in 1999 I had a less-than-pleasant conversation with a
fellow who had created compression software called shorten and seemed to

want the domain. Nothing ever happened, and eventually I let the
registration lapse -- with the predictable result that it's now an
links-to-naughty-p0rn site.

So by the first-come-first-served test, while we might recognize that
our
Bible-quoting friend to be a recent convert to the merits of Holy Writ,
his
registration would not have been imperiled unless he created the "soccer

info here" site or something similar.

Background:

"Bible-quoting Corinthians.com publisher replies to Politech"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02892.html

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com