Re: [ga] Transfers & WHOIS

It is my understanding that this is a TF within the DNSO via the NC.
Not IETF, ASO or PSO.

It is therefor very much about the politics and privacy issues of WHOIS and not so much about the technical aspects.  If I am not mistaken there are many perfectly acceptable technical applications and the questions to be resolved are of a social nature, contractual nature, privacy nature and moral nature.

I would be interested to see any reference otherwise.

Sincerely,
Eric

Rick H Wesson wrote:

Jefsey,

ok, put the crack pipe  D O W N

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Jefsey Morfin wrote:

> On 22:11 07/12/01, William X Walsh said:
> >Friday, Friday, December 07, 2001, 12:38:36 PM, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> > > Some of us, running other root zones, are doing our own whois efforts.
> > > Including running code. Unless these guys are going to make the code a
> > > sourceforge project, I really don't see how they're going to have a major
> > > impact.
> >
> >Probably because the alt.roots are so small in usage that they aren't
> >that major an area to ignore.
>
> I work on an proximity Internet project involving millions of 3/4LD
> addresses. The issue is not the level of the root (please reread RFC 1034,
> P. Mokapertis has well understood that). The issue is the right of the
> people to introduce themselves or not. We have started the QuiEst projet.
> http://quiest.net (sorry it is in French for that project).

google translates the page...
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://quiest.net/&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522quiest.net%2522%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

> Basically
> QuiEst means WHOIS in Latin, a universal language for a universal right.
> The principle is simple: the best whois you can find is the web. So the
> ultimate idea is that quiest://domain.name give access to an opt-in
> information page.

first of all a new URL scheme is not going to happen, and you don't start
the process for a new URL scheme in the DNSO. You can do neat things with
web pages, but whois runs on port 43 and I suggest you involve your self
with the ietf-not43 whois group at
http://lists.research.netsol.com/mailman/listinfo/ietf-not43

also you may wish to understand the use of SRV records which would allow
anyone to publish the location of their whois server under their domain
name so  http://qiuest.nomde.domaine would be redundant that is if you are
tring to get a port assigned to quiest.

> As far as the network security is concerned the http://nic.ws solution
> works well. You can drop a mail to the DN holder through the Registry. No
> one knows who you are.

no it doesn't, and there are alot of comments on why http://nic.ws
solution is not a good solution for everyone.

> I do not want to enter into political aspects but I share now in a well
> documented doctrine on how the universal WHOIS and the methods of
> collection/sales of the personal data will probably lead to a financial
> collapse of the world and to revolutions. Some kind of a new AIDS pandemia.

when you talk about whois you enter political relms, the fact is that
port 43 WHOIS is the simplest protocol on the Internet and thus politicans
can understand it. If you want to replace whois, technical work is
progrssing and I suggest you get involved.

there are also several new initatives starting in the IETF for directory
services, you may want to check those out too.

-rick