Re: [ga] The Network Solutions contribution to international terror

On 3 Dec 2001, at 5:09, Marc Schneiders wrote:

> I do not think it is a good idea that the US is going to define what
> sites are politically acceptable in the DNS.

I agree that the US should not define what *sites* are acceptible if they
are within "free speech."  However, I also feel that US based registrars
and hosting providers (not necessarily registries who are not themselves
registrars) should have to follow the law and not do business with
embargoed countries.

OTOH, if a non US based registrar accepts a registration from a US
embargoed country and a hosting provider outside of the US provides
services to that country also, the US has no jurisdiction whatsoever.

It is also true that anyone can register an *offensive* domain name and
put up a site that none of us appreciates.  If that site is not breaking any
laws, I don't see how the US can do much about it.  When it comes to
terrorism such as what happened on Sept. 11, targeting civilians, or
shopping malls or restaurants, etc., I would certainly advocate shutting
down sites that aid the terrorists responsible.  How to accomplish that
is something else.

Leah