[ga] Formulating Consensus -- Affinity Groups ??

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 07:02:41 -0800, Eric Dierker wrote:

> I think we should have a standing drafting committee to put proposals
> together for consensus.  I would call it a GA council.

Hi Eric

Try this quote from the "consensus" website:

"The next step is the development of an organization which is non-hierarchical
or egalitarian.  A corresponding structure would include: participatory
democracy, routine universal skill-building and information sharing, rotation
of leadership roles, frequent evaluations, and, perhaps most importantly,
equal access to power.

Hierarchical structures are not, in and of themselves, the problem.  But their
use concentrates power at the top and, invariably, the top becomes less and
less accessible to the people at the bottom, who are usually most affected by
the decisions made by those at the top."
http://www.consensus.net/revolutionary.html

Sound familiar to anyone ?

So not a GA Council, Eric.  How do you like this quote:

"Each member of the organization would belong to an affinity group of between
5 and 20 adults.  Each affinity group would be autonomous, having complete
authority to decide who is in the affinity group, how the affinity group is
organized internally, and to what degree the affinity group directly
participates in the organization.

Affinity groups can be created by a group of new members, a split or spin off
from an existing affinity group, or individuals drawn from other affinity
groups into a new affinity group.  The relationships between members of an
affinity group are created by the people involved.  In this organization,
behaviors are expected to be nonviolent, respectful, and egalitarian."
http://www.consensus.net/formalconsensusfor100.html

Ok, in the GA we are all internet "users".  What other factors have we got in
common?  Looking at myself:

Regional?              I'm in the Pacific region.
Technical?            Not very.
Country Code?    Yes, .au.
More TLDs?         Definitely.
Lawyer or IP?        No.