Re: [ga] RE: DNSO Constituency Structure

on 11/23/01 9:33 AM, Gomes, Chuck at cgomes@verisign.com wrote:

<snip>
>  Therefore, if users and producers are
> separated into separate SO's, it would be essential to build a structure to
> facilitate cross-SO collaboration.
>
> Chuck

Chuck,
*Structure* is no substitute for *process* and while ICANN continues to
evade the issue of a concrete consensus building mechanism, any claim it
makes of community consensus holds no credibility whatsoever, no matter what
labels it gives to SOs, or how many cross-SO structures it may be willing to
build. Outreach to *all affected stakeholders* must be duly considered on an
issue by issue basis, and those who have a right to be heard on any
particular issue will vary and may not fit neatly into one, two or any
number of pre-packaged SO's, in fact, may not even know ICANN exists, or be
connected to the internet at all. Until we reach the point where the GA Best
Practices model, or similar concrete mechanism, is adopted as an industry
standard to measure consensus in what is fundamentally an online community,
then whatever new structure ICANN undertakes will simply produce an empty
shell.

Regards,
Joanna