Re: [ga] Mr. Qaddafi Salutes Verisign

Joanna and all assembly members,

Joanna Lane wrote:

> on 11/18/01 12:39 PM, John Berryhill at john@johnberryhill.com wrote:
>
> > If the Iraqis want a domain name and they don't want
> > to induce a violation of US law, then they can go register with a European
> > registrar.  It is that simple.
>
> Actually no, they can't necessarily. While European nations are indeed free
> to trade without fear of prosecution under US embargoes.

  I think you are forgetting the "Long arm statutes" of the US...

> http://www.eurunion.org/news/press/1998-2/pr43-98.htm, the EU has stated its
> support most emphatically for the US Coalition for the War on Terrorism, and
> numerous new regulations are being introduced in that respect every day by
> its Council.  The EU Council has requested the UN give consideration to any
> measure facilitating mutual assistance with third countries concerning the
> prevention of terrorism, and even before Sep 11, the EU had been pro-active
> in setting up the first International Criminal Court. Clearly the EU does
> recognize the need for developing international laws for certain crimes,
> such as crimes against humanity etc., which the sale of domain names to
> terrorists actually promotes.
> http://www.eurunion.org/news/press/1998-2/pr40-98.htm

  Not just the EU.  GB is also reviewing it laws regarding terrorism and
trade, a perhaps you know.

> In relation to specific trade sanctions in force in the 15 EU member
> nations, these are imposed not only by individual government decisions, but
> also by United Nations Security Council Resolutions. For example, I believe
> the laser guns Bill cites, are restricted from being exported from the UK to
> all destinations worldwide, in other words, no export license could be
> obtained by a UK business for any reason, regardless of US federal
> regulations or UN sanctions. Equally, if the UN lifts sanctions against a
> country, and an EU member nation does not have its own national laws in
> place against that country, then yes, that country is free to trade,
> regardless of what US Federal law may states.

  Except for the "Long arm statutes" Joanna.  Also there are the
bilateral trade agreements with most of not all EU countries that have
such trade agreements with the US.  Those trade agreements, if you
would care to look them over carefully incorporate the "Long Arm
Statutes".

> The documentation is immense, so I do not know specifically whether selling
> technology of the DNS kind to IRAQ by any one of the ICANN accredited
> European Registrars is lawful or not, but as stated above, it would be very
> surprising if either the UN, European Council or any government of the EU's
> member nations condoned such a step if the US stated it wished such activity
> to stop and indeed, enforced such steps under existing US law. That part is
> simple I agree.
>
> Regards,
>
> Joanna

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827