Re: [ga] Mr. Qaddafi Salutes Verisign

> On a practical note, the lists of banned organizations and Individuals is
> changing all the time. How could a registrar keep an eye on it and obey it
> without incurring cost for us all?

The same way that ANY business must abide by the law.  Regulatory compliance
is a cost of doing any business.  The internet does not function in some
imaginary world where companies do not need to be concerned with obeying the
criminal law of their own jurisdiction.  It is inconvenient, it incurs costs,
and it is required of any business.  One might just as well ask how these
businesses keep track of changes in tax law, labor law, commercial law,
corporate law, or anything else which is relevant to doing business in the
real world.

As far as "individuals" go, it is a fact of life that many people are
identically-named, and filtering by name may not be a reasonable expectation.
However, for a US registrar to simply weed out registrations for which the
registrar is self-identified to be in a country with whom doing business is
illegal, that is an extremely simple thing to do.  I would submit that any
registrar can, within a matter of seconds, produce a list of registrants
having addresses in Iraq.

Additionally, where a registrar receives information sufficient to reasonable
believe that a named party is in fact a banned party, then the registrar
should take appropriate action to ensure compliance with the law.

John