RE: [ga] Mr. Qaddafi Salutes Verisign

Not quite. I am stating that the entire ICANN is only strictly subject to US
law. This is not to say that they don't give lip service to accomodating
others. The facts are as stated. That is all. However, at any time, the US
DOC can come in and change things, regardless of what any other apparent
stakeholders may feel about it. Please, recognize that reality.

|> This is not an accusation, I mean to ask this question
|> in good faith as I would like to know if I've made a
|> mistake in joing this list (I am not an American) and I
|> have only joined recently.

That is yet another issue. Many of us (self included) recognize that the
DNSO/GA is a canard. We participate here anyway, in some hope that someone
will listen. It is the only vehicle we have, since we're not allowed in any
constituency.

Take the facts that I gave you about the ICANN, in general, then add a group
within the DNSO that has no right to vote, no representitive except what the
NC assigns it, no rights to bring anything before the ICANN BoD, and
generally no political power whatsoever. This is the DNSO/GA. We are the
voice of the disenfranchised. The best that we can do is debate and
publicize egregious issues, make substantive motions that get routinely
ignored, generally cry out a lot, and hope that at least some of it makes an
impact somewhere.

|> General Assembly Members,
|> 	Would appreciate if you can agree/disagree the
|> statement above. I would not
|> want to meddle in areas where I have no place in.

There is nothing wrong with you being here. But please, understand what you
are dealing with. The stuff that you came in the door with was first heard
over four years ago. The ideal is nice but, more than a little nieve and it
definitely does not apply to the ICANN. If you want a place to be effective
and meaningful, in your ICANN relationship, this isn't it.