RE: [ga] Mr. Qaddafi Salutes Verisign

I think that you are in dire need of some facts:
1) ICANN is a registered California, USA corp.
2) ICANN gets it's "authority" from the US Department of Commerce.
3) ICANN corporate offices are located in Marina Del Rey, California, USA.
4) ICANN is only immune, from various US anti-trust statutes, because of the
MoU it has signed with the US DOC. This is the same document that enables
item 2. The ICANN is protected under a "US contractor" umbrella, just like
NSI.

Where does this not make ICANN subject to US State Department authority?
Alternatively, how is ICANN immune from US law?

|> 	In summary, I am in support of the requirement of ICANN
|> observing any international; ie voiding the Zero-Censorship
|> in the case of a registration from countries/industries
|> with information saction in place. Of course, I can
|> understand that it will be difficult to be in full compliance.

It is not an issue of censorship. It is an issue of compliance with US law.
Censorship issues can be taken up with your representitive to the US
Government, whatever that may entail.

Now, can we drop the "ICANN is an international body" fable? It clearly
isn't one. Those who maintain otherwise are seriously mistaken.