Cc: Ga
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 11:19 AM
Subject: RE: [ga] WARNING REGARDING THE WEBSITE DOTUSA.COM

From John Palmer:
"Please be aware that AGN Domain Name Service is
the exclusive registry/registrar for the .USA
top level domain. We claimed this TLD back
in 1995 from IANA and have been the sole registry and registrar
for this TLD since that time. ADNS has not
authorized TLD Networks to take registrations
for .USA domains. We are working with our legal
staff to obtain a restraining order against
TLD Networks. We will also report this internet
fraud to the US Department of Commerce and
the California Attorney General's Office."

No TLDs were ever claimed from IANA.  IANA kept a list of TLD requests until mid-1996, but no delegations for gTLDs were ever made, contrary to popular rumor.

Despite this fact, ADNS may still have a claim if they were operating the registry, even without authorization from IANA - I guess the courts will decide that one of these years.

Josh, former IANA Administrator