Re: [ga] WARNING REGARDING THE WEBSITE DOTUSA.COM

John,

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, John Palmer wrote:

> WARNING REGARDING THE WEBSITE DOTUSA.COM
>
> It has come to our attention that a website has
> recently emerged claiming to be a registrar for
> the .USA top level domain. This web site appears
> to be operated by a company called TLD Networks.

hey can't anyone run a registry for any tld they wish?

> Please be aware that AGN Domain Name Service is
> the exclusive registry/registrar for the .USA
> top level domain. We claimed this TLD back
> in 1995 from IANA and have been the sole registry and registrar

AFAIK, IANA didn't deligate .USA to anyone, infact IANA hasn't deligated a
3 letter iso-3166 country code since .COM was deligated to SRI way back.

> for this TLD since that time. ADNS has not
> authorized TLD Networks to take registrations
> for .USA domains. We are working with our legal
> staff to obtain a restraining order against
> TLD Networks. We will also report this internet
> fraud to the US Department of Commerce and
> the California Attorney General's Office.

bet DoC is getting lots of mail these days.

> DO NOT REGISTER A .USA DOMAIN WITH DOTUSA.COM.
> YOU WILL MOST LIKELY LOSE YOUR MONEY, EVEN
> IF THESE PEOPLE ARE PROSECUTED.

yes, everyone wishing to register a .usa SLD should be careful.

-rick