[ga] [DOMAIN POLICY] The Wait Continues For New Top-Level Domains (InternetNews.com)

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [ga] [DOMAIN POLICY] The Wait Continues For New Top-Level Domains (InternetNews.com)
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:25:04 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@dnso.org

All asslembly members,

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article/0,,10_906271,00.html

NeuLevel Inc., which has been appointed the exclusive registry
operator for the .BIZ top-level domain (TLD) by the Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), Thursday said
that the .BIZ Registry will not go live until Wednesday, Nov. 7. The
new TLD was previously scheduled to become effective on Oct. 23.

The .BIZ TLD is the second of seven new TLDs to be added to the
current system, which includes domains like .ORG, .NET, .EDU and the
ever popular .COM as well as several country codes. The first new
domain names, .INFO, went live this past summer but the rollout
wasn't nearly as smooth as had been expected with the official .INFO
registry, Afilias, needing to enlist the help of the World
Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) to resolve disputes.

"NeuLevel is taking extra care to ensure our systems will support the
early go-live demand," said Doug Armentrout, CEO of NeuLevel,
Inc. "Due to the significant recent market demand for the new TLDs,
including .BIZ, we concluded that we needed extra time to test our
systems in conjunction with our registrar channel partners. We are
determined to turn up our live registry service with a system that
can accept the market's demand, regardless of the amount of traffic
generated."

The new postponement represents the second delay for the .BIZ
domains. Neulevel originally planned to rollout the TLD on Oct. 1 but
pushed it back to Oct. 23 due to the business disruptions that
followed the events of Sept. 11.

The other new domains scheduled to be implemented by ICANN
are: .name, .pro, .aero, .museum and .coop.

Separately, ICANN on Thursday announced the appointment of the Museum
Domain Management Association (MuseDoma) to oversee the operation of
the .MUSEUM top-level domain. So, watch out MOMA!