Re: [ga] VeriSign/RealNames

Dear Tim,
I dont think you are that marketingly and technicaly that naive....

On 19:32 13/10/01, Tim Langdell said:
>Jefsey,
>I'll do my best to answer you - although I find your message a little
>confusing!

Thank you for responding. I am sorry you find it confusing: this would
mean you have not yet fully understood the possibilities of your own
product.

>I dont get your point about Realnames keywords and ICANN and New.net.
>Realnames keywords are single words or several words separated by spaces.

Domain names are single words or several words separated by dots.

>There is no way that anyone could confuse "IBM FRANCE" with "ibm.com" or
>"ibm.co.fr" . They are parallel naming systems which each have their own
>merit but which do not conflict.

I fail to see how "IBM FRANCE" could not be confused withe "IBM.FRANCE".
These are parallel systems in direct commercial conflict. One (RN) pretends
to be flat (and therefore upper layer), while the other is multi-layers. In
reality they both are multi-layer as both  are sequential as every
language. You confirm this in saying that RN are not neutral to the order
in the sequence (see below). Absolutely no difference between RN and
NameSlinger.

>I will not comment about New.net, but would point out that others have said
>that in launching a domain that ICANN itself might one day approve of,
>New.net is in potential conflict.

No. New.net is not in conflict. ICANN may create a collision. International
Trade rules applies. ICANN is not a superpower, howeber it seems to want to
be a superabsurdity.

>Realnames are in no such danger of conflict. Nor is XTNS by the way, and
>we are of course quite separate from Realnames.

RN is in direct opposition. The only semantic difference between DNs and
RNs is a space being used instead of a dot. Initially there was nothing or
a dot or a slash or a column (1978). The technical difference is that the
RNs are actually handled as TLDs.

>Is there a difference between "France IBM" and "IBM France"? Yes, there is,
>of course.

This kills your pretence they are keywords. There should be none. This is a
structured naming sequence as IUN, DNs, EDI, ....

>I do not speak for Realnames but I understand to register a
>keyword with the word "IBM" in it you have to be IBM or acting on behalf of
>IBM. They are even tougher I gather than ICANN/UDRP/WIPO on this. So while
>France IBM and IBM France are similar, it would never be a problem as the
>only owner of either of them would have to be IBM.

Strange that you just "understand" while this is XTNS business. However you
only show that UDRP is inadequate. Also that RNs are value added and not of
same nature than DNs while being used as a replacement for them. You
therefore imply unfair competition.

>As to "new naming plan" Realnames keywords have been around for many years,
>as have AOL keywords and many other keyword systems.

This is no problem as long as it is confidential (I can do the same easily
by my own in using the Host file). The problem is not RN. The problem is
NSI taking it over and selling RNs using the ICANN sales network under its
own prestige with the financial incentive of Real Names rates for
Registrars and resellers. The problem is Passport and .NET They transform a
side convenience into a major confusion to the advantage of a single
manufacturer.

I note that you did not respond to my technical questions:

> > Now let me know about the caracter set: do they support dot, dash, slash,
> > column, or any other separtor or special character? Do they support
>accents?

Quid?

> > Is there a difference between "IBM France" and "France IBM"?

You said yes.

?

> > Are you not supporting the same technology and annoucing regularly in
> > this GA that you support new TLDs

?

The situation is interesting. I think you should review what you are doing.
What are your rights at doing it and to build a serious policy - which will
certainly conflict with ICANN. This would serve everyone. The way you (NSI)
take it is just leading to major conflicts on the medium range because
consumers will want to get the same service for more money.

Jefsey