DNS security issues Policy statement by the DNSO/GA to:Re: [ga] We can't be against it?

Roberto and all assembly members,

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> William,
>

> >Sounds like the the EU needs to pass an exemption regarding domain
> >registration information, or it may force ICANN not to accredit
> >European companies as registrars.
> >

> Reality shows things are different: there are already many ICANN-accredited
> Registrars.
> IMHO, there is really no justification for the request of having all escrow
> data in the US: it is obvious that EU data will be equally safe in Europe -
> this is just a political point.

  Agreed.

  However the escrow of Registrar data is a minor exposure issue in the
overall DNS security picture.  More important is the RRP data, the
Registry data, the Root server's, and than the many various Name servers
to prevent attacks by spirituous means from terrorists that may find or
already notice the current weakness of no DNSSEC implementations
or weak ones on this important data that the ICANN BoD and staff
have been well aware of for more than a year now and failed to
address or start taking input to come up with methods of addressing
until after Sept. 11th.  I find that lack of leadership irresponsible
in the extreme.

> Anyway, the matter is being examined by the Registrars, will be discussed by
> NC that will hopefully make a recommandation to the Board, and will be one
> of the items of the security-focused agenda in MdR.

  We here on the DNSO GA should be crafting that recommendation along
with the other constituencies by which the NC may take to the BoD at
least by now!  And indeed the MDR meeting need not be security-focused
so as to send the message to potential terrorists that they have won a
moral victory.  Rather the security issue(s) should be addressed as
a priority, but not as an overwhelming focus.  Other just as important
issues also need to be on the agenda with equal time as much a possible
for each.

> Regards
> Roberto

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827