Re: [ga] Expectations

Danny,
here are good and reasonable questions.

On 15:20 23/09/01, DannyYounger@cs.com said:
>Undoubtably, there will be those that (fearing a loss of influence) will
>seek, at the last minute, to "reorganize and save the DNSO".

The main point is that the ICANN would lose legitimacy if closing the
DNS support organization - what left as an alibi for them to exist?

>  It can be
>reasonably expected that the Assembly will be offered  the opportunity to
>join the Council as a new constituency.

Yes. This is partly the case today with representants.

>The members of this body need to
>reflect upon such possible choices as we travel down this road.   If such an
>offer is tendered, will we accept three seats out of twenty-four, or do we
>take the position that no less than half the seats will suffice?

Let be pragmatic. We have to accept anything which makes the DNSO
survive and the GA to take influence. We will the proceed from there.

>Could we
>even consider such an offer before recognition of an individuals'
>constituency is granted?

Absolutely. Once in the NC we will be in position to help the
creation of the missing constituencies: Registrants, Internet Users,
SMEs. Designers.

>Do we see a value in saving this Supporting Organization, or is ICANN best
>served by transforming the GA into a cross-SO Assembly in the new proposed
>structure?  It is time for debate.

This is a very complex issue as itis necessary to have a global consensus
on the need of an Internet governance analysis first. Otherwise is building
on sand.

IMHO our priority is to get the DNSO into the network age: to have it sign
an MoU with the ICANN, to incorporate and welcom the missing constituencies.

First survival and organization. Then outreach.

Jefsey