Re[2]: [ga] Geographic and Geopolitical Names in .info

Wednesday, Wednesday, September 19, 2001, 12:39:02 AM, Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:

>> Country name .info domains obtained by using false trademarks
>> should of course be auto-challenged. However, I dislike
>> the idea of closing additional parts of the domain name space,
>> especially in multiple languages, multiple variants and
>> potentially at various levels (state and city names are
>> obviously next in line). The TLD strings are also about

> Alexander,

> Would you explain why you consider trademarks rights
> more important that countrie's and people's rights ?

How about explaining the reasoning why a country should have the
exclusive use of a domain name simply because it matches their country
name?  This is a dangerous assumption and precedent to be setting.  It
presupposes that any use of that domain name by any other party could
not be legitimate and valid.  That is, of course, a false
presupposition.  It cannot even be presumed that the country's
government would even make the BEST use of the name, much less the
only legitimate use.

It bothers me that ICANN would impose this condition on the Afilias
registry AFTER the fact, and that Afilias didn't stand up to the ICANN
board and at least strenuously object or flat our refuse to implement
this policy.

Why do governments suppose that the fact that they are governments
gives them more rights than the average individual in this regard?

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>