Re: [ga] Research/Age of the innocence, gone

Eric and all assembly members,

  I for one, commend your attempt and now, you efforts.  It is terribly
unfortunate that the ICANN leadership is silent upon your request,
or has shown no outward effort thus far.  Hopefully this shall change
in the very near future...

Eric Dierker wrote:

> I have been moved by the contribution of the Internet and its assistance
> to those in need and to investigators over the past few days.  I asked
> our BoD to set up a brown ribbon WG to assess and promote ways in which
> we could do even more as a community, but there has been no response.
> So I have decided to go it alone.
>
> PREVIOUS EXAMPLES:
>
> I ask all of you more knowledgeable than I to help me find previous
> examples of how the Internet has been used to save lives and relieve
> suffering.  I am looking for any situation where the medium of
> communication has been used to ease suffering.  From prayer circles to
> medical operative procedures to military exercise.
>
> The immediate goal is to gather references.  The hope is to then
> evaluate the data and find problems which occurred and then get techies
> and pollywogs to analyze and develop methods to route around such
> obstacles to success.
>
> FURTHER PROBLEMS:
>
> We in the Internet community were thrown backwards and shaken and
> useless.  Yes the Internet was useful and helpful and that is to be
> blessed.  But those persons within the highly esteemed group of
> governors of the net did not have an emergency program in place.  Why?
> Should they have?  With Wall Street down should 20 domain names
> involving world trade have been sold by Verisign?  Is there a regimen
> for curtailing non-essential use in a grading progression?  Dial-ups vs
> Other in time of crisis?
>
> Should we design a system of protocol without emergency provisions? --
> fairly irresponsible!
>
> GROWING UP:
>
> With each tragedy my children face they grow up a little.  I try to
> protect them from as many as possible to avoid their pain and to keep
> the innocence for a day longer.  But sometimes I must just tell my
> daughters that sometimes bad guys come along and you just have to build
> a system to deal with it.  The Internet has left the age of the
> innocence.  We have contributed to suffering and we have contributed to
> the system to alleviate suffering.  Now as a group working with the
> Assignment of Names and Numbers, the PSO and the ASO we must take
> responsibility and protect against the bad and provide for the good.
>
> If not us then who?
>
> WORLD WIDE:
>
> Restricted ccTLDs have a natural ring to them but they restrict usage.
> Do they promote Nationality or bigotry?  Are the old models exclusive of
> protective?  Do new gTLDs with their categories hurt inclusiveness or
> promote ease of use?  When do Internet categories really mean
> stereotyping and lack of cross culturalization?  I am sending out these
> questions to many ccNICs.  Only questions to look at in search of
> answers.
>
> ADVICE and CONTRIBUTION:
>
> I especially want to hear from this list why it is or is not the GA's
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827