RE: [ga] Condolances, and News from New York

Joanna, our thoughts are with you in this. We all hope for a positive
outcome... Marilyn

-----Original Message-----
From: Joanna Lane [mailto:jo-uk@rcn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 7:54 PM
To: Peter Dengate-Thrush; ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] Condolances, and News from New York

Speaking personally, I would like to express my thanks for expressions of
support from all over the world, both on and off-list, which have touched us
here. When all this is all over, (if ever), I will write a piece on the part
the internet has played. In short, it has proved the most trustworthy of all
media for direct one to one communication. However, I do wonder whether it
would be a different story if one of ICANN's root servers were located below
14th Street in lower Manhattan.

For the record, over the last 30 hours, in this area at least, it has proved
extremely difficult to get an international phone call through, lines are
jammed, and, as you may know, both wireless phones and NYC TV transmission
signals have been severely disrupted, as many attenae on the WTC rooftops
were lost. I cannot be alone in having relied on email to keep in touch
worldwide, for which I am very grateful, not least to those in this
organization who have helped build the thing. If this had happened
pre-internet, it would be a different story. Many are using email and
relying on websites to access emergency information, although I believe many
of these are also overloaded.

The bad news is that my husband's cousin is missing, Richard Catarelli, who
was located in WTC Building One, above the 65th floor where the first plane
struck. Consequently, I have reorganized my priorities, and regret that I am
forced to recuse myself from ICANN business from the time being.

Regards,
Joanna