Re[2]: [ga] Condolences

I am shocked by the New York tragedy, a place where I had friends or
business relations among people working in the building, hotel and
commercial center where I used to go... I will probably never know their
fate good or bad. My condoleances to everyone affected by this tragedy on
this list.

On 20:08 11/09/01, William X Walsh said:
>Tuesday, Tuesday, September 11, 2001, 10:50:01 AM, L Gallegos wrote:
> > Perhaps the members of the GA could now consider the meaning
> > of a single point of failure with a non-distributed root.
>
>While I supported the sentiment of the rest of your message, I find
>this not only an incorrect characterization, but I find it offensive
>to use this event to further that agenda.

I understand your remark but I am afraid you misudersand what Leah says.
Half the root servers are on the East coast. On Saturday I made a point in
my Montevideo presentation about a power outage on the East US Coast and
the Internet going progressively down. In case of tragedy we do not need
that in addition. What Leah talks about is not inclusive root, but
non-distributed root system. Nothing would prevent the root servers to be
distributed over several 13 machines galaxies all over the planet - even
under the tight control of the DoC and using the restricted ICANN root.

I recall in the 80s the Mexico strategy. For several hours the only link
with the rest of the world was one guy with a keyboard and a mailbox with
IEMS a small e-mail gateway service teaming with Tymnet in Cupertino. For
hours he reported to Cupertino without feed back because he was new at the
service and did not know where to check, IEMS relaying his mails to MCI and
ITT, them reading them to the Mexican and US Armies by phone. While IEMS
traced his mails and acknowledged them manually to keep him knowing and
going. They probably helped saving hundredth of lifes that day. Because
IEMS had a smart distributed e-mail gateway and a no-single point of
failure solution there. And a very gallant user ... I never forgot about
that nor about him.

A very sad day. For us all.
My prayers for them all.
Jefsey