Re: [ga] Comments from JPNIC and JPRS

Dear Sirs,
This position calls for respect.

This was exactly the essence of my candidacy to the BoD. I note that this
is also the position of the European Roots adopted with the RT/BP (Root and
RLD Best Practices) available for example at http://www.boroon.net .

I proposed Vint Cerf and Stuart Lynn several times to dialog on this
matter. Unfortunately the dialog has not come far enough.

In my opinion there are four problems to address:
- the criteria for a TLD Manager to be accepted by the roots, to prevent
TLD squatting
- the pre-existence of the TLD (".JP" existed before JPNIC) and therefore
the rights of the Registrants as pre-existing to those of the TLD Managers.
- there will necessarily be value-added roots: this means that a root
equalized financing system is necessary.
- the TLD bootstrap. The RFC 920 describes it referring to the NIC. As the
ICANN currently does not fulfill this part of its mission we have adopted a
TLD public declaration procedure. IMHO both approaches are very similar.
Collision resolution is the issue: I say "a TLD is a public good used by
the Registrants and served by the TLD Manager. Being protected the rights
of the TLD Manager for his work, decisions comes to Registrants".

I renew my proposition to this GA to set-up of an independent working group
on the name space management by the ICANN. So called alternative roots are
only a part of this policy and I think only a consistent global response
may permit a stable and lasting approach forstering innovation. I add that
my proposition is that such a group writes a documented letter to explain
the NC and the BoD why a WG should be established and proposes the matters
to be considered.

Sincerely yours,
Jefsey Morfin