Re[4]: [ga] Status of the Review Task Force

Elisabeth, if the ccTLDs had been delegated to countries and their
governments, this might be relevant, but in fact that is not the case.
The few countries where the delegation has anything to do with the
government in that country are the exception, not the rule.

The contract between the IANA (and now ICANN) and most ccTLDs was
RFC1591 as it was written at the time of the delegation.  For ccTLDs
delegated prior to the first release of 1591, there would only be an
implied contract of questionable enforcement value.

That is how the ccTLDs were delegated, simply to those who requested
them, nothing more was required.

Monday, Monday, September 03, 2001, 3:51:40 AM, Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:

> William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sunday, Sunday, September 02, 2001, 9:00:11 PM, Peter de Blanc wrote:
>>
>> > I concur (agree) with Elisabeth's comments here.
>>
>> > Peter de Blanc
>>
>> Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:
>> > The ccTLDs represent Local Internet Communities, and contrary to the
>> > gTLD Registries, ccTLD Registries do not operate under the US law and
>> > jurisdiction, but under national law and jurisdiction.
>>
>> But in fact, the ccTLD was delegated under an implied contract that is
>> subject to US Law.  So in effect, ccTLDs are, to a limited degree,
>> subject to US Law.

==>> This is the most frequent erroneous assumption.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>