From: William X Walsh [mailto:william@userfriendly.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2001 7:33 PM
To: Peter de Blanc
Cc: 'Elisabeth Porteneuve'; cgomes@verisign.com; ga@dnso.org;
jandl@jandl.com
Subject: Re[2]: [ga] Status of the Review Task Force

Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:
> The ccTLDs represent Local Internet Communities, and contrary to the
> gTLD Registries, ccTLD Registries do not operate under the US law and
> jurisdiction, but under national law and jurisdiction.

But in fact, the ccTLD was delegated under an implied contract that is
subject to US Law.  So in effect, ccTLDs are, to a limited degree,
subject to US Law.

> I agree with you Chuck: the ccTLD are certainly not really very
> different from gTLD, they demand equal considerations within ICANN.

I think the ccTLDs fail to see the tremendous pressure that ICANN was
under with regard to gTLD issues.  That was the most pressing thing
before them, and was being used as a measure of their ability to handle
the job.

The reality is that ICANN didn't have much choice but to make gTLD
issues a top priority.  And as a rule, most of the ccTLDs opposed the
creation of new gTLDs, so the split between ICANN and the ccTLDs on this
issue isn't really very surprising.

But, let's get some answers from the ccTLD community.

What are these issues that the ccTLD community feels have been
neglected?  Specifics please.  In this way, the ccTLD community can
start taking an active roll in advancing awareness of those issues.

Perhaps Peter and Elisabeth could put up a web page describing some of
the ccTLD related issues that they feel ICANN should be addressing, and
then the GA, as a part of the DNSO (where those issues belong) can begin
the process of developing recommendations and recommended policy to
cover to them.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>