RE: [ga] Consensus... Definition?

Then how about this;
majority 		> 51%
super majority 	> 66%
consensus		> 90%

The point is that, given a large group of people, counting noses is the only
thing that works. Anything less will have its legitimacy challenged at every
turn and the result of that will be grid-lock. That's the paractical issue.
On the legal front, we must be able to present evidenciary proof of every
decision. When Congress asks DOC for facts, the current consensus statements
are weak, rightly so. From a historical perspective, any decision reached by
a vague "consensus" definition will be indefensible and unusable in any
legal context. Basically, we may as well not say anything. The prime example
is the output of WG-A.

BTW Chuck, I actually agree with everything you say, in theory. I just
disagree, that it will be sufficient for this body to move forward with that
definition, in any practical context. In small committees, of experts, it is
easy to determine consensus. I do it at every design meeting. Even within
small groups of polecat^H^H^H^Hiticians, in those cases, I usually document
it as Unanimous Consent, with dissenting opinions. In larger groups, where
communications is usually the main problem, with individual lack of
preparation running a close second, voting/polling is the only way to weed
out the weak and ill-prepared articles and motions, in any sort of
reasonable time-frame.

We must design the process to fit the practical requirements.