[ga] Re: Questions for the Candidates

Thank you Danny,
I thank you not to ask all the good questions I rose, so I may betetr detail.

On 02:54 08/08/01, DannyYounger@cs.com said:
>Dear Board candidates,
>The General Assembly has thus far raised the following questions:

>1.  Will you actively support Karl Auerbach's motion on the creation of an
>Individuals' Constituency in the DNSO?

I sent a few hours ago a mail to propose considering the Internet User
Constituency constitution process as per the bylaws.  I supprot the
creation of two Registrant Constituency (bulk and individuals as heir
registration procedures and problems differs). I call for a DNS
Developpement Constitency to study and specify the DNS évolution and to
analyse and document their impact on the market.

>2.  What are the strong and weak points of the DNSO structure as it is and
>how would you set about improving it?

The DNSO is weak from the Singapore compromise (Dennis Jennings
proposition) to include the @large withing a technical SO. The WG-R had
identified this. ALSC is identifiying it too.

@large oriented constituencies should move to the @large organization. The
DNSO should include the gTLDs, the ccTLDs, the STLDs, the Registrars, the
Registrants, the DNSDeveloppers and a DNS oriented commitee from the
Internet User Constituency.

>3.  What is your view on ICANN At Large participation -- do you support an
>election of the full number of At Large directors?

IMHO the current repartition is aceptable: 5 geographical representatives
elected by the @large Members and 4 representing professionnal concerns. I
hate that 4 are BoDsquatters and 5 are not supposed to stay until replaced.

I think the number of @large Constituencies should enlarge to include:
SMEs, content providers, Telcos, etc... I am interested by the scheme where
all the Directors are elected by the @large. The nomination mechanism
should obvsiously take care of the necessary divesity.

We have an @large Study Committtee. We wanted the WG-R to be its counter
part. Now the WG-R  starts anew. Let them work. I will support a solution
not imposed on us which will clearly make a difference between the
"netwide" consensus based advices of the DNSO on DNS issues and the
stakeholders voted motions of the @large on the same matter. One says what
we can do, the other say what we would like to do.

>4.  To what extent would you seek to ensure that the "open," "bottom-up" mode
>of operation of ICANN, in which the participation of the General Assembly in
>forming recommendations and suggestions to the Board of Directors is a part,
>and which mode is set out in the Articles that govern ICANN and in the
>agreement with the USG, would be honored and implemented?

The subject is complex because it calls for a complete analysis of the new
social behaviors of which the Internet are both a mirror and an agent. I am
sorry but I need to explain this first.

"bottom-up/top-down" schemes are XIXth century heritage based upon the
hierarchical social dialog. For many decades a new form of relations I name
"me/we" is emerging and based upon a relational polylog. You cannot deal
with something like the Internet without being influenced by it, so the
"me/we" model is more present to us than to others but it is all over the
world. Our problem is that through e-mail we mostly live in a me/we
multi-dimension world while many still want to use two dimensions concepts.

Governance is me/we. It is not a "World Governement" but one the relations
between the individual and his missions, interests, etc.. and his multiple
communities.
Global is all what is the three first parts of the "mine/me/we/alien" basic
sequence.
Politically correct is me/we (not top-down or bottom-up: it would be
oppression).
Consensus is a me/we word reflecting the correct thinking of the community.
Deciding is what makes you, knowing you is what makes your community (think
about "authoritaive" in the DNS and you better understand many things)

No one has yet analysed governance mecanisms (Europe is just starting an
international effort on that). I am pragamatic. So I would go "Estonian".
This people have developped an online information discussion and decision
system for their Governement meeting. They open it progessively to
every  citizen - in real time. And they will use it in cities,
administrations, etc...

We see that Staff and BoD do not comply with the bylaws. They oftern change
the rules as it pleases them. Their decsion process is not transparent. Is
that they want to cheat? Are we able to force them?
Most of the time of this GA is wasted in rules discussion. Most of the
people do not understand half what they discuss about. No one remember a
cute suggestion made 10 days before. No motion is voted, no consensus is
uncovered. Is that serious? Does that means that we are not serious?

Response is "no" to all these questions. It means we need another system of
relations to decide, debate and educate. Adapted to our 'me/we system based
on our me/we e-mail practice.Vint is on this GA and any one can copy
everyone. What we need is to understand how we realy work, tanslate it into
acceptable software specifications and develop it. This is our priority.

No one is going to tell a software system not to be transparent, to bypass
a rule or to be impressed by ad hominem disputes.

Jefsey