Re: [ga] Review Task Force List is now publicly archived

Thanks for posting this, Danny.

A couple of comments on the agenda items 1 and 6...

"DannyYounger@cs.com" <DannyYounger@cs.com> wrote:
> 1. Working groups. Lead: Philip.
> - "To turn the WG D procedures into a sharper set of guidelines".
> I posted this to the virtual site early July and have had no comment yet.
> Please look at it and either tell me OK or suggest a change. I will construe
> silence as consent. Deadline 15 August. ACTION ALL PLEASE.

Keep in mind that the guidelines proposed by WG-D are light and flexible *by
design.* We looked at alternatives, tried some more rigid guidelines in
earlier drafts, and came to the conclusion that the rules ought to be
flexible enough to account for a variety of issues and modes of working.
Those who had participated in many IETF working groups felt particularly
strong about the need to maintain lightweight and flexible rules of
procedure.

> 6. Consensus.  Lead Milton
> Recommend to the NC a practical definition of consensus for the purposes of
> NC consultation activities.
> Milton had earlier thoughts on this suggesting that we should drop the word
> consensus and just suggest certain majority or super majority rules for DNSO
> groups. This seems like a good way forward. Milton - please advise progress
> or post to the virtual workroom. Deadline Aug 15.

Dropping the word "consensus" would be a mistake for the simple reason that
all of the contracts with registries and registrars bind those entities to
ICANN "consensus policies." That term has a particular legal significance
within ICANN. Since you can't rewrite those contracts, you'll want to draft
you rules in account for them. You don't want to run the risk that the NC
passes something but the affected parties aren't bound because what the NC
did doesn't meet the definition in the contracts about what is a
"consensus."

     -- Bret