Re: [ga] ALSC's Structural Options

I posted a similar email message reply in the ALSC forum.

The Chair does formally represent the DNSO and his Web site appears to have a
commercial theme.  The Chair's Web site appears to me to be the beginning of a
competitive commercial theme against the very DNSO GA constituency consensus
process he represents, and against others.

The Chair's Web site, which DNSO participants are being directed to by the
Chair, contains email forums and other mechanisms that appear to be solely for
the purpose of establishing outside opinion and outside positions against the
ICANN,
the DNSO, the DNSO GA, the ALSC and the other consensus processes.

The direction the Chair appears to be heading with his Web site does not
appear correct to me and my concern is with undue influence in that the Chair
should not use his position within the ICANN/DNSO as leverage to promote his
commercial
concepts and agenda that may be contrary to the ICANN/DNSO constituency
consensus process he formally represents.

I can agree that the Web page the Chair directed DNSO participants to did not
include commercial advertising which could be considered offensive.  However,
I can see that the Chair's Web site appears to be geared toward being
commercial and not merely informational, in direct competition with the
ICANN/DNSO constituency consensus process the Chair represents.

I am not against constructive and productive processes.  Furthermore, I do not
formally represent ICANN/DNSO, whereas, the Chair does formally represent
ICANN/DNSO and I believe this proposes a problem.  I am against undue
influence
and unethical activity.  I am proposing an ethical question here that may have
a significant impact if it goes unchecked.

Derek Conant
DNSGA President and Chairman