Re: [ga] Letter from ICANN to New.net

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 05:21:36PM -0700, Roeland Meyer wrote:
[...]

> > I look forward to the cessation of your use of email, then,
> > since the design
> > of the email protocols came straight out of the IETF...
>
> Current email protocols came straight out of sendmail. Eric will be quite
> surpised to hear you claim otherwise. IETF adopted them after the fact.
> FidoNet had email back in 1982. IETF didn't exist until 1989 or so. ...
> amazing how those time-warps work to your sole benefit.

Just to correct yet more of Roeland's inaccuracies:

Aug 13, 1982: RFC 822, "STANDARD FOR THE FORMAT OF ARPA INTERNET TEXT
         MESSAGES" (Edited by Dave Crocker)

Nov 21, 1977: RFC 733, "STANDARD FOR THE FORMAT OF ARPA NETWORK TEXT
         MESSAGES(1)" (By Dave Crocker)

Sep  5, 1973: RFC 561, "Standardizing Network Mail Headers"
         (By Bhushan, Pogran, Tomlinson, White)

The first IETF meeting was in 1986, but core group had a long prior
history, before the name was adopted.  Those people developed email long
before fidonet existed.  And sendmail implements protocols, not the
reverse...

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be