Interesting Mechanism - Re: [ga] FYI: Bandwidth and Session Limits to be Deployed within the SRS

VeriSign's deployment of a Bandwidth and Session Limits mechanism is
interesting.

All Registrars are not the same, however, they will be treated the same.  There
are large Registrars and small Registrars.  There are Registrars who use the SRS
for registering domain names and others who may be involved in abuse activity.
It would seem that VeriSign is capable of identifying and defining the source of
problems concerning Registrars engaged in abuse activity.

The subject mechanism on one hand appears to benefit the small Registrars by
inhibiting the large Registrar's access to the SRS.  However, on the other hand,
it also appears that the mechanism will control small Registrars by preventing
them from engaging activity described as abuse.  Large Registrars in the domain
name industry will not need to engage in any kind of abuse activity if the small
Registrars are limited in this capacity.

Now, what is abuse activity?

Derek Conant
DNSGA President and Chairman