Re[4]: [ga] a quote from Lynn

Hello L,

Wednesday, July 11, 2001, 12:41:31 PM, L Gallegos wrote:

> One more time...
> It is the tld's that cannot be duplicated without causing a problem
> for internet users.  A distributed root will not cause the problem.

Seems to me that duplication at any level is the same.

Conflict and different answers cause problems regardless of the level,
1st, 2nd, 3rd,etc.

It's not a distributed root, its a conflicting root.  Running your own
local root is not a conflicting root, since it would return the proper
answer, even for the . SOA record.   Running a root that returns
different responses is duplication.

The root that ICANN now effectively controls was there first.  Hence
anything that comes along afterwards is a collider.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>