Re[2]: [ga] a quote from Lynn

Hello L,

Wednesday, July 11, 2001, 12:00:50 PM, L Gallegos wrote:

> One - I don't run a root.
> Two - duplicate domains are not the same as a distrubuted root.
> That is not a duplication.  It is providing identical information for
> TLDs - same name servers, contact information.  There are no
> "duplicate" roots, but there are inclusive and exclusive roots.  As
> long as TLDs are not duplicated using different nameservers and
> contacts, there is no problem.  It is an enhancement.

Actually the argument doesn't stand up.

When you do a dns query for the "." domain on the real root system,
you get the following response:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
.                       1D IN SOA       A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. hostmaster.nsiregistry.NET. (
                                        2001071100      ; serial
                                        30M             ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       6D IN NS        A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       6D IN NS        H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       6D IN NS        C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       6D IN NS        G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       6D IN NS        F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       6D IN NS        B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       6D IN NS        J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       6D IN NS        K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       6D IN NS        L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       6D IN NS        M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       6D IN NS        I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       6D IN NS        E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       6D IN NS        D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

As Jefsey will confirm, the "." is the real top level domain.

The other roots return completely different results for this domain.

;; ANSWER SECTION:
.                       1D IN SOA       A.ROOT-SERVERS.ORSC. HOSTMASTER.A.ROOT-SERVERS.ORSC. (
                                        2001070107      ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       2D IN NS        A.ROOT-SERVERS.ORSC.
.                       2D IN NS        B.ROOT-SERVERS.ORSC.
.                       2D IN NS        C.ROOT-SERVERS.ORSC.
.                       2D IN NS        D.ROOT-SERVERS.ORSC.
.                       2D IN NS        E.ROOT-SERVERS.ORSC.
.                       2D IN NS        F.ROOT-SERVERS.ORSC.
.                       2D IN NS        G.ROOT-SERVERS.ORSC.
.                       2D IN NS        H.ROOT-SERVERS.ORSC.
.                       2D IN NS        I.ROOT-SERVERS.ORSC.
.                       2D IN NS        J.ROOT-SERVERS.ORSC.

That is duplication according to your own statement that
as "long as TLDs are not duplicated using different nameservers and
contacts, there is no problem."

The . is a domain (it can even technically have an IP address).

Sandy's argument is supported.

You yourself have said that duplication at any level is bad, whether
at the "top" or second level.

If duplication is bad, duplication is bad.  It can't be both ways.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>