Re: [ga] a quote from Lynn

Sandy and all assembly members,

Sandy Harris wrote:

> L Gallegos wrote:
> >
> > On 10 Jul 2001, at 8:31, Eric Dierker wrote:
> >
> > > "Universal resolvability means the ability to find the same answer to
> > > the same query from anywhere on the public Internet. ...
> > >
> > > ... universal resolvability is one of the key design
> > > elements of the DNS. ...
> >
> > In actuality, Lynn's statement is good.  There should not be any
> > duplication, that's all. ...
>
> I agree completely.
>
> Of course duplication is more dangerous the higher up the tree you go.
> Duplicating 4th_level_name.whatever.example.com really isn't much of a
> problem. Duplication of a top-level domain, say .com or .biz, poses
> serious problems. That's why people are howling about the .biz situation.

  Yes it is why people are upset about the .BIZ and .INFO situation.
The ICANN BoD and Staff CREATED the problem, where none existed
before and there were already operating Registries for .BIZ and .INFO
in place.

> By that argument, duplication of the root is a real catastrophe, the
> worst possible duplication problem.

  It can be, but doesn't need to be if properly technically dealt with.
However the ICANN BoD and staff have decided not to take
those technical steps.  As a result there will be a problem.

> So if you actually believe duplication is wrong, you should shut your
> duplicate root down today.

  I disagree with your solution.  It will not solve the long term problem.
Rather a better solution is for ICANN to include Atlantic Roots
registry as the proper registry for .BIZ.  Or the ICANN BoD and
staff can embrace the Shared Roots technology.  The latter is the
best long term solution.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827