Re: [ga] Lynn's Response to New.net "Policy Paper"

I have not posted much lately, but there are times when erroneous information must be refuted. Since it is unlikely that ICANN will take not of my response to Ben Edelman's erroneous conclusions to research based on erroneous assumptions, I will post some information here.

From the ICANN publication:

>>"9. Indeed, there is a recent illustration of this phenomenon. ICANN first began accepting expressions of interest in the creation of new TLDs in July 2000; among those submitted in July were two separate expressions of interest </yokohama/eoi.htm> in a .biz TLD. At about that same time, according to statements by its owner, a company known as Atlantic Root Network, Inc. (ARNI) arranged to take over a previously existing but dormant .biz TLD offered by another alternate root operator. ICANN subsequently accepted applications for new TLDs during a period which ended on 2 October 2000 </tlds/tld-applications-lodged-02oct00.htm>; five separate applications requested a .biz TLD. As best as can be documented, ARNI began accepting public registrations in its .biz TLD on October 23, 2000. ICANN selected one of the .biz proposals to be one of the seven new TLDs included in its initial proof of concept; by the time that happened, the ARNI .biz had 297 registrations, in the name of a total of five individuals, and 178 of those (60%) were in the name of ARNI's President. Given these facts, and particularly the congruity of the timing in relation to the ICANN process, it seems clear that this activity was driven by a desire to preempt this TLD string without having to participate in the ICANN community consensus process. See "Analysis of Registrations in the ARNI .BIZ Top-Level Domain <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/dotbiz/>." <<

First, and very important to ICANN's #9 is that it is based upon Ben Edelman's report, which in turn is based on his erroneous assumption that the registry was not open prior to October 23, 2000. .BIZ was open for registrations in May, 2000 after some months of discussion regarding our taking over management of TLD. All registrations prior to the launch of the online registration system were re-entered and date stamped to extend them for one or more years from that time.

One of the earliest .BIZ domain websites was hosted on May 30, 2000.

In addition, those registrants who had not yet set up their online accounts had their names entered in the ARNI "reserve" account until such time as they establish individual accounts and the POSSR (registration system) upgrade is completed. Our response to the Edelman report is posted both on his site and at http://www.biztld.net/edelman.html. As I said, if a report is based on an erroneous assumption, the report's conclusions are erroneous. It is also important to note that the number of registrations at any given time is not particularly important to the overall fact that the TLD existed and was operational prior to any ICANN expression of interest AND the fact that the creation date is 1995. It must also be obvious that if on online registration system was launched in early October, it had been in development for some months prior to that. That's called deductive reasoning.

Further, all those who expressed interest in .BIZ in July were contacted to inform them that it already existed. When applications were lodged, all applicants were notified and messages were placed on the ICANN message board. It is notable that ICANN did not mention these notifications, although they were and are aware of them.

In addition, Simon Higgs posted the message (below) stating an accurate timeline for ARNI's .BIZ. When we were setting up the administration of .BIZ, there was not even a hint of anyone planning to use that string from ICANN's side. In May, when the delegation by the roots was completed, there was still no hint anywhere else.

The lack of documentation by Mr. Edelman was due to his not asking for it and ICANN's blindly accepting an erroneuos report. This is not surprising. The information was posted both on Mr. Edelman's site and the biztld.net site immediately after the report was published. The notice of that response was posted in several places.

It is not good when disinformation is posted on these lists. It is much worse when it is published by ICANN on that website and with no signature. Once again, no one contacted ARNI to verify that information.

Simin Higgs post to ga-roots: