Re: [ga] taking positions on country specific legislation

Hi Marylin,

I find nothing that prohibits it except for a few thoughts.  Lobbying by a
non-profit is a skecthy area at best.  If ICANN is a subcontractor with the DoC
then that has some interesting problems.  We specifically have a GAC to advise
us but specifically do not have the reverse.  There is a prohibition of a
governmental employee or official working for ICANN (I still do not get Bildt).

OTOH policy with regards to Domain Names is clearly our business. All the
position papers and RFCs clearly effect lawmakers.  It is congress that asks for
input from our staff and BoD, surely they should get some from the GA. Under
contract the ccTLDs owned by countries are advised by APNIC et al.

So I would suggest that you are right technically but that if we do not only
other voices are heard.  We will have to decide if it should be in or out of a
IDNH constituency and the same issues will have to be studied.  I am of the
opine at this time that if everyone agrees not to do it then Individuals and the
GA should not.  But if everyone else is going to do it then we should
participate.

Sincerely,
Eric